Henrique Iwao (Jardim da Silveira): born in Botucatu, Brazil, 1983. Part of: Infinito Menos, contemporary and experimental music trio; noise duo Epilepsia; improvised music and musical games group Coletivo D’istante. Albuns and DVDs released include two electroacoustic music ones: Dance Music (Clinical Archives, 2008), split with Mário Del Nunzio, and Música Eletrônica 2004 (Clinical Archives, 2009), split with Del Nunzio and Bernardo Barros; three solo albuns, released by Seminal Records in 2014-6: O Brasil Não Chega às Oitavas, Éter 2 and Not As Official An Artist As Cildo Meireles + NAOAAACM Redux; the improvised music album Trios & Quartetos (Ibrasotope – Limares/Petrobras, 2012), together with Mário Del Nunzio; Vídeos 2003-2013 (NMELança, 2013), compilation fo my videoart works prior to 2013; Death Raving: Delirando Mortes – Epilepsia Ao Vivo no Plano-B (TOC Label, 2013). Has written a master thesis intitled Colagem Musical na Música Eletrônica Experimental (ECA/USP, 2012). Took part in the residency programs of Manufactuur (De Bijloke Muziekcentrum, Gent) and Em Residência (SESC-Palladium, Belo Horizonte), both in 2014. In 2003, was one of the idealizers of the ENCUn, a national meeting for contemporary and experimental music. From december 2007 to april 2012 was co-director of Ibrasotope, center for experimental and contemporary music, in São Paulo and promoted the multimedia art exhibitions Conexões Sonoras 1 and 2, and the festival Festival Ibrasotope de Música Experimental, also having two editions. Was adjunct curator of the MIEI (music of invention: experimental and improvised) series (Centro Cultural da UFMG, 2013-4). Organizes the mini-festival of noise and performance BHNoise (2013 e 2015). With Matthias Koole, produces and performs in the improvised music + other areas event Q.I.: Quartas de Improviso (more than 60 editions). Composed sountracks for works by Luiz Fernando Bongiovanni, Jorge Garcia (Nihil Obstat), Icatupe, Juliana França, Kandyê Medina & Júlia Salaroli (Duas Ilhas), Dalton Sala (A Coleção e o Museu, Pinacoteca Estação) and Alvise Camozzi (Babel, SESC Pinheiros). Street interventions include Microshows, documented in the videoMicroshows 001-019 (2011-2013), and the bend parade series Avenida Paulista Eu Te Amo e Avenida Faria Lima Eu Te Odeio. Created the sound installation Dentro (Casa Azul, Campinas, 2012). His only solo art exhibition is Duo #5, Desidratar uma melancia, with Marco Antônio Gonçalves – photos and object-sculpture (4y25, 2015). Is founder and member of experimental music label Seminal Records (2014-). Writes regularly in his blog http://henriqueiwao.seminalrecords.org/ and has a album review column in Linda magazine. Gave plunderphonic workshops in different locations and also has worked as educator in Oi Kabum! Belo Horizonte school of art and technology (2012-6).
I work with experimental music, developing:
(1) Work as music improviser in the free improvisation genre. I play everyday objects, an amplified board created by myself, toys and electronics. I have a great interest in creating diverse formal articulations and in balancing intense gesture archs and more static textures. Moreover, there is humor in my way of playing.
(2) Work in electronic music, creating (a) electroacoustic music, exploring unusual ways of using sound synthesis, and (b) musical collage, exploring intrincate sound editing, be it in digital collections made from extremely characteristic or remarkable sound objects belonging to the ouvre of a certain material-provider-artist, or in other proposals such as the normalization of silent bits of music, or the stacking of several musics in order to create dense textures.
(3) Several specific works, inspired by some extra-musical factor or philosophical consideration: a solo involving banging pans and screening football matches; a silent album approaching the question of indiscernibles and long duration almost completely silent performances; work with humming amplification and light systems; diverse sound recordings in which the ambient sound is similar to white noise.
(4) The will to embrace the world: collaborating with different people in order to develop specific works in areas such as photography, sculpture, video, text, musical prose, performance, installation, musical games and interpretation of indeterminate and open music scores/works.
(5) Actions aimed at strengthening the experimental music community; organization of experimental music events. Curatorship and article writing on the subject. Also, I like to practice contact-improvisation and drinking good coffee.